ABC News Covers Linza Trial

Ask
Steve

ABC News Covers Linza Trial

Written by  in category
July 21, 2017

ABC News Covers Linza trial victory:

Yuba Co. man awarded millions in modification fraud case

PLUMAS LAKES – A Plumas Lakes man has won a major judgement in a mortgage modification fraud case dating back to 2010.

A Superior Court jury in Yuba County awarded Phillip Linza $513,902 in damages and $15.7 million in punitive damages against PHH Mortgage Corporation.

It began when Linza was struggling to pay his mortgage in 2010 in the middle of the mortgage crisis. He thought he was on the road to saving his home when his loan provider PHH Mortgage agreed to a loan modification, taking his payment from $2,100 a month to just over $1,500 a month.

“I made the payments for months,” Linza said. “Then I get a letter in the mail that says, ‘oops, we made a mistake, your payments aren’t $1,530, they’re $2,300.'”

A few weeks later, the company sent Linza another letter.

“They jacked it up, never explained why. They sent another letter demanding $7,000, never explained why,” said United Law Center attorney Andre Chernay, who helped represent Linza.

Linza testified he tried repeatedly to reach someone with the company who would help him straighten things out, but got nowhere. When, in desperation, Linza threatened to sue PHH Mortgage, the company did respond.

Linza said he was told, “‘We’re a multi-billion dollar company. Stand in line because we’ve got a busload of attorneys that are on retainers.'”

The ruling Thursday is being called one of the largest of it’s kind in California and a message to the banking industry.

“It’s a classic case of David v. Goliath,” according to Jon Oldenburg, Managing Attorney and partner at United Law Center. “No one thought the banks could be beaten. This award is a huge step in the right direction to help us continue to punish the banks for violations against millions of California homeowners.”

Linza said the entire issue could have been avoided if PHH Mortgage had simply owned up to their mistake and honored their agreement. He said the verdict sends a broad message.

“You people have been taking advantage of enough people and the country’s tired of it. I mean, society’s tired of it,” Linza said.

The case is expected to be appealed.

No one from PHH Mortgage was available for comment late Friday.

Please follow and like us:

102 Responses

1. Emmy Policz says:

Incredible! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It’s on a entirely different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Great choice of colors!|

2. JosephNence says:

Gеt up tо $ 20,000 per daу with our рrоgram.
    Wе аre а tеаm оf experiеnсеd prоgrammеrs, workеd mоre than 14 mоnths on this progrаm and now еverуthing is rеаdу аnd everything works рerfectlу. The РаyРal systеm is very vulnеrablе, instead of notifуing thе dеvеlopers оf PауPal about this vulnerаbility, we tооk аdvаntagе of it. We actively usе our prоgrаm for рersоnal еnriсhment, to show hugе аmоunts of money on оur accounts, wе will nоt. уou will not believе until yоu trу аnd аs it is not in our interest to prоvе tо you that somеthing is in уours. When we rеаlized thаt this vulnеrаbility cаn be usеd massivеlу withоut consequеnсes, we deсided to hеlp thе rеst оf thе people. Wе deсided not to inflаte thе priсe оf this gold program and put a verу lоw priсе tag, оnly $ 550. In оrder fоr this рrоgrаm tо bе аvаilаble tо а large number оf pеoplе.
    Аll the details on our blog: http://mh-center.info/BannerSystem/adclick.php?bannerid=5&zoneid=2&source=&dest=https%3A//www.pinterest.com/pin/690387817853172731/

3. Omer Luckado says:

Heya i am for the primary time here. I came across this board and I to find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I am hoping to provide one thing back and aid others like you helped me.|

4. Windy Felson says:

Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any tips for rookie blog writers? I’d certainly appreciate it.|

5. Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It actually was once a amusement account it. Look complex to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we be in contact?|

6. Lamar Ising says:

i have wondershare video converter ultimate for mac , the registration number on the the application doesn’t match the registration number that i bought for my retirement community. It looks like a pirated copy the support email is a false email address. the registration number is grayed out we bought this software for 2-5 people paid 118 dollars can’t even get support. every DVD we burn has looped. Can’t believe they sent me a pirated one. i tried to uninstall the bad copy so i can download a new copy.

7. i get an Unable to connect.

8. Lory Ganja says:

i get an Unable to connect.

9. Josef Eoff says:

10. Very neat article post.Much thanks again. Fantastic.